Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Mad Shopping with a Pregnant Lady...

You’d think that I would have learned my lesson about pregnant women and grocery shopping last week when I “ran into” the store to grab ONE ITEM and came out with 6 types of junk food that I can’t even tell you why I bought them...but apparently I really am as stubborn as my mother always tells me that I am because I went back for round 2 yesterday. Here’s how it went down...

My nausea has gotten increasingly worse in the last week or so. Because of this, I’ve started being very finicky and careful about what I eat. I make myself eat something, and work really hard not to throw up on the really bad days. So far, so good. And I’ve learned that when I’m eating and my body tells me that now would be a good time to stop eating to actually listen to my body and not continue to stuff my face. Yeah, I learned that one the hard way!

Anyway, so when something actually sounds good to eat, I try to eat. And on the good days, I’m trying really hard to eat more to make up for all of those other days when I really don’t eat that much. So yesterday morning I woke up hungry. I’ve also learned that this is typically a good sign for how the day will go. I ate ½ an apple before leaving home and ate my healthy breakfast of Pop Tarts at my desk at work. (Don’t judge me. They’re yummy right now!) Imagine my surprise when 10am rolls around and my stomach growls. That’s a sound that I haven’t heard in about a week...so I immediately get out some crackers and snack for a minute or five.

Then 11:30 sneaks up on me and it’s lunchtime. Not wanting to push my luck too far, I decide that I’ll just eat some Velveeta Shells and Cheese for lunch. Just one of the single servings that I keep here in my desk...except that I was out. Hmmm...well, a trip to Wal-Mart won’t hurt. But remembering the episode last week, I steel myself to just go in and buy macaroni. Nothing else.

I go downstairs and start my car up and start driving across the street to Wal-Mart. While sitting at the red light, a wave of nausea hit me so bad that I thought that I was going to throw up in my car. Seriously. That bad. Well, maybe lunch is not going to be all that great today, I think to myself. Never-the-less, I push on towards Wal-Mart, but as I walk in the door, I think to myself that maybe a tub of cheese isn’t really the best thing for me to eat on a queasy stomach.

Now I’m wandering through the grocery section of Wal-Mart looking for inspiration for lunch and finding none. I looked all up and down the frozen entrée cabinets, but no. I think that maybe some of that new cook in the microwave pasta is called for, but after staring at the choices for a good ten minutes decide that I really don’t want to try something new on a touchy stomach. My mind wanders back to the Shells and Cheese, but I just wander if I could handle it...because it still sounded kind of good to me...so I head on to the pasta aisle.

Discovering that I was on the wrong aisle, I wander over to the right one, resolutely ignoring all the things on the shelf that might have been crying out for my attention. I get to the right aisle and see the single serve Velveeta macaroni tubs...but wait. What’s this? No original Shells and Cheese?!?!? Just broccoli and cheese and 2% Shells and Cheese. I mean, come on people. You’re eating MACARONI...why bother with the 2% stuff? I’m just saying...

But back to my story. They had NO original Shells and Cheese in the individual serving size. Seriously?!? I manage to talk myself out of macaroni for lunch...and decided that since my belly was still turning somersaults and the nausea was pretty bad that maybe Chicken Noodle Soup was in order. Since I was already on the right aisle, I make my way over to the soups. I find the one that I want, and then decide that I really don’t have enough crackers at my desk left to have with my soup. So I walk all the way back to the back of the grocery section to get more crackers. On my way, I grab some caffeine-free beverages (so that I’m not tempted while at work by the vending machine) and some more Pop Tarts so that I don’t have to come back to the store for “work food” this week.

As I make my way to the counter to check out, I realize that I really do want macaroni...but can’t do anything about it. I’ve spent at least 20 minutes in the store...meaning to buy ONE item, that I can’t even find because they’re sold out, and I have 5 or 6 other things in my arms that I didn’t come here for. I check out, diligently adding my $5 to my Wal-Mart gift card that has started my “diaper fund” and exit the store.

After all of that...I ended up eating at Chipotle.

Yeah, just goes to show that the joke was on me. But the good news is that I ate three solid meals yesterday with snacks in between all meals. I did good! The best that I’ve done in the past week, that’s for sure.

Any other pregnant women have funny grocery shopping stories to share? Since this is my second one, I’m starting to think that maybe B should do the shopping for a while...

No comments: