Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Seventeen Weeks

Another week bites the dust...

Now that that little diddy is stuck in your heads – hello! And welcome to week seventeen for those of you following along. Things are really starting to change around here, at least in my opinion.

First and foremost, here’s what babycenter.com has to say about this week’s development: The baby’s skeleton is changing from soft cartilage to bone, and the umbilical cord is growing stronger and thicker. Your baby weighs around 5 ounces now (which is about how much a turnip weighs) and she’s around 5 inches long from head to bottom. She can move her joints, and her sweat glands are starting to develop.


That seems like not that much, huh? Well, it’s a lot and a little all at the same time I guess. But the most exciting thing that I have to report is what I’ve been waiting and waiting AND waiting to be able to tell you –

I can feel the first small flutters of movement!

Yeah! I’m SO excited about this, as you know if you’ve been following along the past few weeks. I seem to remember this happening sooner with my first pregnancy, but my sense of time could be all out of whack since that was seven and a half years ago! But either way, there have been several times over the past few days hen I’ve felt what I’m fairly certain are the first little flutters of movement. I wouldn’t be quite as sure except that I’ve noticed that it’s happening each night the past two nights when I get in bed and settle down. I wasn’t 100% sure until last night...so I’m thrilled that today is my weekly update post.

You know, I have to admit though that I really thought that I would be more certain this time around. I mean, everyone knows that the first pregnancy you really don’t know what to expect and what things feel like, and that’s completely normal. But I would think that the second time around, you would be more sure about things...which has not been the case with me. But that could just be because I’m a little bit wacky. It’s ok, I’m not afraid to admit it.

I was VERY relieved to read that this week one of the changes that my body is going through is a feeling of being off-balance. Almost like vertigo. Sound familiar Maid Britney? Yep. As my belly is growing, my body’s center of gravity is adjusting to accommodate and may cause me to feel off-kilter some days. I experienced this pretty badly yesterday for several hours – to the point of almost needing to lie down – and a call to my doctor’s office went unanswered. They did call me back first thing this morning, but by then it was passed and I had gotten my weekly update and felt much better about the entire situation.

So that’s my week. I’ve had some funny pregnancy moments this week...look for that post tomorrow, especially if you need a little chuckle. Here’s my belly shots for the week. I’ll apologize up front for the “lovely” tank top ensemble that I was sporting last night. Cut me some slack – I was home alone and took my bubble bath early last night...

I’m starting to show and praying that the weather here in Austin starts to warm up rapidly. I’m fast approaching the point of not being able to wear regular shirts anymore, and all of the maternity clothes that I’ve bought are either short-sleeved or sleeveless. I mean, come on, my due date is the end of JULY – of couse I’ve concentrated on buying “cooler” clothing options! Lucky for me, cold weather in Austin never lasts much past March...so I should make it through in my long-sleeved regular tops and maternity jeans.

Oh, and I'm happy to report that we've settled into calling the "bump" Ziggy for now. It stuck with me, even if B didn't like it as much as Bocephus...so Ziggy it is!

That’s about it for me. Talk to you next time!

No comments: