Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Homemade Toffee

Before I show off my awesome-ness with my treat/goodie bag reveal, I have to have to HAVE TO share this super easy recipe for Toffee with you. If you’re like me, with a sweet tooth the size of a small pie, you will LOVE this homemade treat. You’ll love how it tastes, but more importantly, you’ll love how EASY it is to make! I promise…delicious homemade candy without all the work? Sign me up!



Best Toffee EVER – Super Easy

Ingredients:
2 cups butter
2 cups white sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (one bag)
1 cup finely chopped almonds (or less chopped, to your preference)

Directions:
1. In a large, heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color, and the temperature has reached 285 degrees F (137 degrees C). Stir occasionally once boiling.

2. While the toffee is cooking, cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil/parchment paper/freezer paper (shiny side up).

3. As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften the chips. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer once it is melted. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly. Putting a plastic bag over your hand will minimize the mess.

4. Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until set (I left mine overnight). Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

(Recipe found here)

That’s it! It’s really that easy, and here are some things that I did/didn’t do and it still turned out GREAT!

I don’t own a candy thermometer (mine broke) and wasn’t going to buy one just to make one thing as nothing else I was making this year called for one. You can easily go by color alone (if you know what toffee is supposed to look like) and not mess this recipe up.

I didn’t press the almonds into the chocolate – sounded just too messy, and since I sprinkled them in while the chocolate was still wet (not set) they seemed to stick good enough. Sure, some popped off when I broke the toffee up, but I think that would happen anyway.

You can replace the almonds with any nut of your choice if you don’t like almonds. And chop them as finely or as coarsely as you prefer. It won’t matter either way.

You do NOT have to stir this stuff once the mixture starts to boil like you do a lot of other homemade candies. Literally just stir occasionally like the recipe says. Without any milk product in the recipe, there’s no chance of scalding, so you can prep the pan and chop the almonds and such after you get the mixture going on the stove.

Overall, this recipe was easy to make and SUPER yummy to eat! Brent doesn’t even like toffee and he liked this…if that tells you anything!  Now get to cooking!

No comments: