Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Best. Husband. Ever.

He understood that I was hurt.

He tried to help me out with the world’s best back massage.

He stayed up half of the night with the little one so that I could rest and try to get better.

When none of the above worked, he plied me with drugs and sent me back to bed.

No joke. Really, he did. And it was H-E-A-V-E-N! Literally the best thing since sliced bread. There are some disadvantages to living with a wounded veteran but the quality and quantity of free drugs is NOT one of them!

Let me start at the beginning. I don’t know how it happened, but at some point last week, I threw my back out of whack. I sat on a heating pad for three days at work, and really thought that things were getting better. But by Saturday I couldn’t sit up straight or stand and hold Jax for any length of time. Notice that I didn’t say for any long length of time…there was NO length of time that I could stand and hold him. Which just stinks when you have a little one.

Anyway, we did everything that we could think of on Saturday to give me some relief and try to fix my back. I even took half of a pain pill when I went to bed (not taking the first shift of the night – Sweet!) and attempted to lay “just so” to give my back and break and time to heal. Sunday morning I woke up and it was worse - even though Jax had a great night and I was able to sleep without holding him for the first time in almost a week.

After taking one look at my face and the lack of posture that I was sitting there with, Brent went off in search of his muscle relaxers. He hasn’t had to use them in several months, and it took him a little bit to find the bottle. It took longer to convince me to take one. I mean, what if they needed me? Did he truly understand that taking one of these would knock me on my ass? Seriously – Tylenol makes me sleepy…this was really going to send me to la-la land. Did he get that I wouldn’t be available to help if Jax got fussy? And did the term “I’d be out for a while” translate the same from my head (a while meaning at least 4 hours) to his head?

These are all questions that I asked out loud. Don’t laugh. Sometimes you just have to be crystal clear.

In the end, after getting laughed at and being told that he wanted me to go and sleep and rest, we compromised and I took ½ of a pill.

And I slept for FOUR HOURS.

During the middle of the day. Between the hours of 9am and 1pm.

If you don’t have an almost six month old at home, you can’t possibly get how rare and wonderful this really was. If you do have a little tyke at home, then you totally understand where I’m coming from and concur with my vote to name my husband Best Husband Ever.

It was bliss.

And it actually did help my back. When I woke up, my back was still stiff and knotted up a bit but it was much less than before and by that evening after another ho, soaking bath and a good night’s sleep…I’m almost all better in time to go to work on Monday morning. (I say almost because who really wants to go to work on Monday mornings? Not me!)

So do you agree with me that he did the most wonderful thing for me? Even if that wonderful thing involved giving me drugs, which normally would NOT be a good start to a story? I think so…what other things has your husband/fiancée done for you to show you how much he cared? I’d love to hear about it! That reminds me to tell you about the time that Brent made the sun go away for me…but that’s a story for another day!

1 comment:

Pamela Fagan Hutchins said...

Ah, he's a keeper! Nothing says love like a tranquilizer pill. In unmarried circles that might sound like a roofie, but we married women know it means he wants to let us SLEEP.