Pages

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Results of the "No Poo" Challenge

I posted here about trying the “no poo” method to deal with my naturally curly hair. Or attempt to deal with it. Maybe I should lower my expectations and just attempt to make friends, huh? It would probably be less expensive and totally less stressful for me! But I want the amazing looking hair that I used to have back on a regular basis. Like something more than friends, but less than lovers.


After a little more than two weeks of following these guidelines to the best of my abilities, here’s what I’ve noticed:

1. My hair is curlier…somewhat. Or maybe the curls are just more tame so that they appear to be more when they really aren’t. Like wearing body-shaping garments underneath your clothes and then “surprising” the guy that picked you up at the bar later at his place…

2. My scalp is healthier…less gunk comes off when/if my head itches. That sounds really gross, but it’s not as bad as that makes it sounds, I promise! You know when you scratch your head and a little white stuff comes off on your fingernail…please, somebody – tell me that your scalp does that too and I’m not a complete freak!

3. Although I felt like my hair was clean the first day that I “washed” it, by the second day (with no washing) it felt pretty rank. Not dirty…not oily…just a tangled mess at the roots, for lack of a better way to describe it. I don’t know if that makes sense. Maybe I just didn’t like not even combing it out…if I put that step back in, I might feel better about it all.

Then two days ago, I cheated. I used my Aveeno Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner like normal…and it felt like heaven. Literally. My hair was super-duper soft afterwards. So much so that I was literally amazed at the difference.

I wouldn’t call the “no poo” method a fail for me…but I wouldn’t call it a total win either. What I have decided is that I need a good cut before making a final decision. My hair is like 4-6 inches too long at this point. I need to suck it up, put on my “big girl” panties and go somewhere where I pay more than $15-20 for a hair cut. You know, like to a real salon. Where they know how to do more than cut across the bottom and possibly add some long layers in. I think at that point my hair will be healthier and I can re-do the “no poo” challenge for two weeks and really see what my curls are capable of doing.

I have the name of a guy here in Austin that’s supposed to be amazing…one of those stylists that can tell you what sort of cut you need to wear to maximize how you look. I just need to pick up the phone and make that call.

Wish me luck! I’ll be sure and post some pics when I finally go and let you know how it goes!

No comments: