Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fact? Or Fiction?

A few months ago, back when I was newly pregnant, I saw this post on one of my favorite blogs, Good Finking! You might recognize her from her Weddingbee days as Mrs. SeaBreeze...she writes a really funny blog, and I thought that it was a cute idea to combine old wives tales with the technology of today – an ultrasound.

When I read her list of “tests” that you could do to determine the sex of your baby, I knew immediately that most of them were biased because knowing the outcome, you could influence the answers. So I immediately copied the questions, and then split off the answers, that way when I did the “tests” on myself, I would be able to do the tests without knowing ahead of schedule what the answers were.

So here are the questions, along with my answers and what they’re supposed to mean. If someone else out there in blog-land wants the split up version of the “tests” and answers, just email me and I’ll happily pass along!

Questions:
1. Sleep Position - Pay attention to which way you lay down in bed tonight. Left side or right side?
I normally prefer my right side, even though I know that it’s better for the baby to sleep on my left side. I start out on the left…but typically end up on the right side.

Survey says: If you prefer sleeping on your left side, you’ll have a boy. Right side? You’re pregnant with a girl.

Result - GIRL

2. Upset Stomach - Do you have extreme nausea?
Extreme? That’s such a matter of opinion…but I would have to say no. As bad as it did get, it wasn’t anything like when I was pregnant the first time.

Survey Says: Little girls aren’t always sweet. Extreme nausea indicates that you could be having a girl

Result - BOY

3. Soft or Dry Hands - Have your hands been soft? Or dry during your pregnancy?
If those are the only choices, then soft. I’ve rarely used lotion on my hands this winter.

Survey says: If your hands are dry during pregnancy, you are having a boy; soft—expect a girl.

Result - GIRL

4. Food Cravings - Have you had any cravings for citrus during your pregnancy?
During the first few weeks of my pregnancy, I could not eat enough of those Clementine oranges to keep pace with my supply at home…so yummy. But that happens every winter when they’re in season, so maybe it wasn’t a craving.

Survey says: Your favorite pregnancy foods may tell you what sex the baby is. If you’re craving citrus while pregnant, you’re having a girl.

Result - GIRL

5. Adult Acne - Are you experiencing more break outs than you normally do?
I would say less breakouts than normal.

Survey says: If altering hormones makes your skin break out, expect a girl.

Result - BOY

6. Graceful or Clumsy Pregnancy - Do you feel as though you’re gliding through the day? Or stumbling along?
Umm…hello? This is me that we’re talking about. I’ve NEVER graceful…even without being pregnant. I’m the most accident-prone person that I know, so I throw this question out based on bias.

Survey says: If you feel as though you’re gliding through they day, you’ll have a girl. Stumbling? It’s a boy.

Result – BOY – even though I STILL think that this question is biased…

7. Face Weight Gain - Has your face filled in more so than normal?
I’ve actually had people tell me that I look like I’ve lost weight in my face.

Survey says: If your face gets fuller, it means you’re having a girl.

Result - BOY

8. Sugar and Spice Food Cravings - Are your cravings leaning towards salty? Or sweet?
Honestly? Both. When I was really, really nauseous salty was best, but sucking on a piece of hard candy (Sweet) would also help. Since the nausea has passed, my sweet tooth has been in full swing.

Survey says: Craving salt during pregnancy? Potato chips, pretzels, and popcorn means a boy is on the way. Need a little something sweet? Ice cream, chocolate, and candy means you’re having a girl.

Result – I’ve liked/eaten ALL of those things. FAIL on this test.

9. Mood Changes - Are you having mood-swings?
I would say no. My husband might answer that question differently!

Survey says: If you’re experiencing pregnant mood-swings, expect a baby girl to arrive soon.

Result - BOY

10. High or Low Pregnant Belly - Are you carrying high or low?
I think that it’s still a little early to answer this question. Right now, the baby is still really low. I remember with my first baby that I carried her higher, but if I carried her this low at 20 weeks, I don’t remember. She was higher towards the end, so maybe it’s too early to answer this question.

Survey says: If you’re carrying the baby low on your stomach, expect a boy. If it’s high, you’re having a girl.

Result – BOY (based on my current answer)

11. Baby Weight - Are you carrying your baby towards the front only? Or is the weight spaced all around your middle?
Another question that might be better asked later on during the pregnancy. Right now, it’s all out in front, but I’ve got just a small bump so it’s hard to say.

Survey says: If you’re carrying baby in front, it’s a boy. Is the baby weight spaced all around your middle? It’s a girl.

Result – BOY (again, based on my current answer)

12. Pendulum Test - Dangle a chain with a charm over your palm. Note how it’s swinging – is it back and forth or in a circle?
My necklace went back and forth.

Survey says: If it swings back and forth: boy. In a circle: girl.

Result - BOY

13. Model Your Hands - “Show me your hands.” Have someone ask to see your hands. Note the position of your palms.
Palms down.

Survey says: If you would hold your hands palms up it’s a girl. Down? You’re having a boy.

Result - BOY

14. Toddler Advice - Get baby advice from a nephew or friend’s little boy. Notice how much interest he shows in your belly…
Didn’t have one handy…sorry.

Survey says: If a toddler boy shows interest in your belly, you’ll have a girl. If he ignores you, it’s a boy.

Result – lack of toddler around? FAIL on this test.

15. Eat Garlic - Guess the baby’s sex by eating garlic. Make a note of how your body smells after consuming and processing your meal.
I have tried this. I haven’t noticed anything weird with the garlic.

Survey says: If the smell seeps out of your pores it’s a boy. If there’s no scent it’s a little girl.

Result - GIRL

16. Key to Pregnancy - Pick up a key (not on a chain) that’s laying on a table. Note which end you pick it up by.
I don’t know about you, but getting the key OFF of the key ring was the hardest part of this test…I picked it up by the large end (where the hole is).

Survey says: If you pick up a key by the round end, you’re having a boy. If it’s by the long end? A girl.

Result - BOY

17. Even and Odd Numbers - What type of number is your age, even or odd? What type of number is the year of your baby’s conception?
My age at conception is an odd number. The year of conception was an odd number.

Survey says: If your age and year of conception are both even or odd, it’s girl. One even, one odd means a boy.

Result - GIRL

18. Baby’s Heartbeat - Make a note how many beats per minute the baby’s heart rate is at your OB appts. Keep track over the first few months…
First appt – upper 160’s
Second appt – 143-155
Third appt – 142-150


Survey says: If the baby’s heart beats more than 150 times per minute, you’re pregnant with a girl. Less than 150, it’s a boy.

Result – BOY (from the last appt only)

19. Stress Test - Think back to when you conceived your baby. Which parent was less stressed? Mom-to-be or Dad-to-be?
I think that I was less stressed. He was out of work and worried about things…I was enjoying the honeymoon.

Survey says: A child tends to be of the same sex as the parent who is less stressed at the time of conception.

Result – GIRL

20. Dream Meanings - Are you having any dreams about your baby? Are they predominately about a baby girl or a baby boy?
I rarely dream. Or rather, I rarely remember my dreams. When I do dream (and remember them) and the baby is in the dream, I don’t think that I know what sex it is. So, my answer would be netiher.

Survey says: If you dream about having a girl while pregnant, you will wind up having a boy and vice versa.

Result – FAIL on this test. Sorry, that makes three!

21. Breast Size - Using a mirror, or your husband, judge if your breasts are the same size or if one is larger than the other. Make a note of which one is larger, if that’s the case.
I think that my left one is larger. My husband’s answer was that they’ve both gotten gi-normous…nice, huh?

Survey says: If your right breast is larger than the left while pregnant, you are having a girl. If the left is larger, it’s a baby boy.

Result - BOY

* Source

There’s also the Chinese Gender Chart which some people swear by, but I’ve seen several different versions of it and I don’t know which version is the real one: this one or this one.

First chart – Girl
Second chart – Boy

So, doing a quick tally, it looks like we’ve got 7 “tests” pointing towards Girl, and 13 “tests” pointing towards Boy…seems like the Old Wives might be leaning more towards a boy.

We’ll find out if there’s any truth to this or if it’s all a bunch of hooey this afternoon. Wish me luck and cooperation from Ziggy!

1 comment:

Kasia Fink said...

Aren't those tests fun? Good luck today! :)