Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Is it Still a Vegetable?

Here’s a question for cyber-space out there...

If something is covered in ooey-deliciouness is it technically still considered a vegetable?

Need more information? Let me provide you with some visual aids...and possibly an explanation.
It started as this... And some of this... And magically ended up as this...from here. (AKA, the BEST place on earth!)
source (1, 2, and 3)

So even though it’s covered in mayonnaise and other bound to be not good for me ingredients, does a serving of Chick-Fil-A cole slaw still count as a vegetable on my food tally for the day?

My vote is a resounding YES! But I have a sneaking suspicion that when my hubby gets around to asking about my vegetable intake (which is low, if I’m honest) for the day, he’ll vote that cole slaw doesn’t fully count. I might be half a credit, but I’ll have to fight tooth and nail for that credit!

It’s not just B that worries about what I eat. I worry about it too. Not enough most times, but now while pregnant, I’m really trying to eat a more balanced diet. I’m honestly trying to eat things that I don’t like, just because I know that they’re good for me. Things like vegetables and yogurt and more whole-grains than bleached and processed grains. That Ziggy needs these things for proper growth and development. (There’s a small part of me that will argue that last point...J turned out just fine on a diet of Count Chocula cereal (yes, they still make that!), raw potatoes and tomatoes while I was pregnant – don’t hate on me it was all that would stay down!)
Most days, I don’t win this battle. I really hate the texture of yogurt...I tried making smoothies, I can still taste it. I can still feel it slithering down my throat. When I know that I’m not eating enough vegetables, I down some V8 fruit juice...yes, it smells and doesn’t exactly taste like any strawberry-banana anything else I’ve ever had, but if I hold my nose, I can stand to drink a glass morning and night.

Today, I added cole slaw to my meal...to count for a vegetable. But in the back of my mind, I’m thinking that it really doesn’t count...but at least I drank sweet tea instead of Coke...maybe that will earn back my other half a point?

No comments: