Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Shabby Shoppe Challenges

So,  being a new Mom, I don't have a lot of time for myself.  Being a Mom of three kids I have to set some boundaries and keep my stuff as MY STUFF...and lay down some strict rules about what they can/can't touch, play with, sit on and use.  Surely everyone has these same rules/regulations at their house, right?

I remember when I just had one child.  The first year or two were hard and all-consuming, but somewhere between the ages of two and three, I discovered that I could have a life.  That I could have hobies.  That I could go and do things with my friends, either taking my child along or leaving her with her dad.  Talk about freedom...

I used to scrapbook.  There will be one or two readers here who know me IRL and are having a good laugh.  They're laughing because when I say "used to" I mean like 3 or 4 YEARS ago.  It was a hobby that I loved, and a great way for me to keep my sanity by having my own "thing" that didn't involve anyone but me.  I had great nights out with my scrapping friends, and an occasional weekend of scrapping if I was really lucky!  I scrapped with them, and alone at my house, and it was a rare day that you didn't see piles of paper or embellishments spread out somewhere in my house.

Then life got in the way.  I got divorced, lost my desire for all things creative (it just took too much energy) and let's face it - living on on the third floor of an apartment complex, lugging all those boxes and cases up and down the stairs, did NOT make my hobby very appealing to me anymore.  So I just sort of quit.  Plus, I lost someone really close to me, scrapped long enough to finish the project that I started to honor her life and just pretty much lost the desire to look at my favorite hobby anymore.  There were lots of factors, but mainly life just got in the way. 

Then I came out of my "coma" and began to explore in the world again.  I made new friends, started dating, met the man of my dreams and created a new family.  Somehwere along the way I heard about a new trend in scrapbooking, digital scrapping, and I was hooked.  I got Photoshop, bought some kits, and then took a promotion at work that had me travelling 50% of the time...when I had a 6 year old at home.  So I got busy.  I've never forgotten about it, but it just got put on the back burner.  Then I planned a wedding.  And grew a baby. 

Now the baby's out...and he's growing...and I have decided that this whole digital scrapping thing is something that I can do.  I started following the Shabby Shoppe blog (my favorite digital scrapbooking store!) and through reading along, following their tutorials, and admiring their inspiration boards I got hooked again.  When they posted their template challenge this past month, giving me the tools to do my first simple layout...I took a leap and decided to do this.  It's the perfect hobby for me.  I get to combine my love for pictures, writing, creativity, and scrapping...and it's all stored on my computer so no wandering fingers can mess with it!  I did my first layout the other day...and I'm HOOKED!  Take a peek...
 



What do you think?  It's my first layout...so be kind.  I'm sure that there are a million and one cooler things that I will learn how to do...but I LOVE it!  I like that I can re-use the products that I purchase endlessly...I love that it doesn't create a mess (other than on my computer!)...and I love that I can easily carry it with me if I should start scrapping with my friends again.  Just love it. 

Does anyone else do this?  Or am I the only big geek?  It's ok if I am...I've been going my own way for a while now...just curious.  I'll be posting some layouts and pages every once in a while...just for fun...or to brag just a little bit as I get better at this...hope you enjoy!




1 comment:

lilysmom said...

Gorgeous! I've never tried this, but want to now! Thanks for the ehads up!