Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It’s Late…


I know that I owe you guys a 6 month post on baby boy…but to be perfectly honest, I’m beat. Like bone-tired. I can’t even tell you why for sure, lots of little things, I guess. Also, I can’t remember what his height was at his check-up last week (most of last week is now a blur in my brain!) and the papers are upstairs…which is a LOT of work right now, just in case you’re wondering. And what’s a monthly post without stats? Not that great, if you ask me. So we’ll just brain dump for a moment if you don’t mind.

I’m so tired. Not because Jax kept me up last night…his sleeping pattern is slowing going back to normal or pre-sickness/ear infection state. Which is a GREAT thing, believe me! So I’m getting plenty of sleep…but maybe that’s the problem. Last night I slept hard…like sleep of the dead sort of hard…and when he woke up to eat, I felt like I had already slept all night. I guess that my body thought that it was time to get up, even though it was, in fact, NOT time to wakey-wakey.

So this is how I know that the Arctic Blast cold front hit our house at 3:21am precisely. Because I was awake and playing cards on my phone to try to go to sleep (it’s totally ok for you to admit to this too…) when the house started shaking and the windows started rattling. It stayed that way for an hour…and to someone who’s a really light sleeper there was no hope for sleep while this was going on, even if my mind had been so inclined to go nighty-night. Which it wasn’t. That’s probably why I’m so tired now…

Do you have a game that makes you sleepy? Both Brent and I swear by our card games and one of my friends at work swears by Bejeweled to make her go to sleep. Just wondering what your go-to game is for inducing sleepiness. You know, just in case insomnia strikes again and the cards aren’t doing it for me…

Mentioning the Arctic Blast. I’m sure you know by now that most of the US is covered in snow. Including places in Texas. Not yet in Austin, but it’s like 18 degrees outside here now. Can I just say “What the hell?!?!” It’s not supposed to be like this in Texas. At least not in the Southern/Central part where we live…sure the twenties at night…but the teens during the daytime? No thank you. You Northerners can have your coldness back anytime you’re ready to take it back, I’ve had about enough. And according to our weathermen, “enough” is actually coming into reality on Saturday when it’s supposed to be in the 60’s temperature-wise. Yes, you read that right. From 20’s-30’s for three days back up to the 60’s this weekend. That’s crazy Texas weather for you!

Since the weather patterns are swinging so wildly this week – I walked before dinner on Monday in Capri work-out yoga pants because it was 80 degrees outside…to the Arctic Blast for the middle of the week…and then back to the 60’s this coming weekend – hello Sickness! We’re all taking extra vitamins and breathing treatments to try to stave off another visit to the doctor. Not that we don’t love her…we’ve just seen her enough to last a while, thanks!

Last but not least, maybe I’m the last one to catch on here but this meal-planning thing might be something worth considering. I’ve been reading this blog about how she manages to feed her family delicious, home-cooked meals 6 nights a week on just $250/month and how she plans all of her meals. I’ve been a skeptic about this process for years (I mean, how can I know on Monday that I’ll feel like eating Beef Stroganoff on Friday?!?!) but maybe, just maybe, I’m going to admit defeat and accept what the masses already seem to know: Meal planning works. Not only do you use up the strange ingredients that you buy for one dinner faster when you plan to cook something else that also uses that ingredient during the week, but I actually bought 4-5 meals worth of groceries yesterday for less than $70, and those are meals that will leave leftovers so will actually account for a few lunches or other meals. (You know, just in case the city of Austin shuts down for the ice/sleet that MIGHT hit us tomorrow!) That’s amazing to me…coming from someone who goes to the store for each meal, spending $20-30 per trip…

I’ll be honest and not blame that mental slowness on my state of tiredness…it’s more laziness on my part, I’m sure.

Anywho…so that’s about all I’ve got for you today. Sorry it’s sort of boring. But really, send me your “sleepy game” suggestions! And let me know if you meal plan and like it or not…I might cave and start doing that on a regular basis…you know, like a grown up!

No comments: