Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sleeping Habits of Babies

It's always a wonder to  me.  How this baby sleeps through the night from almost birth.  How that baby takes regular naps throughout the day until age 4 with no qualms or problems.  How some babies can sleep through anything and some startle at the slightest sounds.

Having had two babies of my own now, I know no more than I did with the first one.  I thought that I made some mistakes with the first one - I held her ALL the time those first few weeks when she slept so much.  She was just too cute to put down!  And I thought that made her a bad sleeper, because let me tell you, from then on out she didn't sleep unless you held her.  She also didn't sleep through the night until 7 or 8 months...

So this time around, I did my best to not hold my baby boy.  And I made sure that the grandmothers who came around and offered me SO much help also didn't hold him all the time...there is plenty of time to spoil him later, not right after birth!  I followed all the right steps, rocked him to drowsiness and then put him down to fall asleep on his own, didn't feed him until he was asleep, and for a while I thought that it was helping.

Yet sometime around the 4th month or so, I realized that he wasn't a good sleeper either.  Just like his sister.  Maybe it's something in my genes.  My mom will probably tell you that it's just payback...to say that I was not a good sleeper would be the understatement of the year, if not the century! 

So here's my latest question...how can such a horrible little sleeper like Jax sleep right next to my husband on his nights to take him?  I ask this because my husband snores like a freight train.  A freight train comin' round the bend and all.  I can barely sleep next time to him some nights...and have to use ear plugs most of the time. 

So how does my little horrible sleeper sleep so soundly next to him? 

It's a question that I'll be sure to ask one of these days...I'm sure there's an angel up there somewhere who can answer me! 

No comments: