Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

It’ll Be A Miracle...

...if this child isn’t born addicted to Benadryl! Seriously, people, I have NEVER in my whole life had this many problems with allergies! I know that I have said it before, but I do NOT remember having these problems while pregnant with my daughter...at all.

And I know that there might be people out there reading this thinking to themselves what a bad mother I’m being by taking drugs while pregnant. This is something that my doctor has encouraged me to do all through this pregnancy, and sometimes you just need help. She tells me to take a whole one each night, and if things haven’t been too bad that day then I just take a half of a pill, but I gave up months ago trying to fight this on my own. I couldn’t function at work on a daily basis with the itchy eyes, scratchy throat and stopped-up nose...and then I couldn’t sleep at night due to my nasal passageways being completely swollen shut and not allowing me to breathe.

I don’t know about you, but I’m thinking that on the “bad mommy scale” not being able to breathe and provided much needed oxygen to your baby ranks much worse than taking half a Benadryl...I’m just saying.

And the good news is that I don’t have to take it each night. I can skip some nights. And then I might have to take it for a solid week straight. It varies, so I buy in bulk...but a new problem cropped up this morning. I took my half a pill last night, and woke up this morning with one side of my nose being all clogged. Can’t blow it – tried to and nothing happened. Oh well. So I get up, get dressed, brush my teeth and decide that my eyes are too bad to actually try putting contracts in today, so I go to get my glasses. This whole time I’ve noticed that I feel a little “off” but nothing that I can put my finger on...

Until I go to the closet to put on my shoes. I literally nearly feel down in the closet in a heap because I lost my balance trying to slip my shoes on. I know that you might be thinking that’s nothing normal – I’m not exactly Miss Grace and I’m pretty vocal and open about my lack of grace. But when this has happened before, it’s been when I was putting on heels and I had gotten one on and was trying to slip into the other one while balanced on one heel...that wasn’t the case this morning. These were flats. And I literally stumbled sideways and fell against the dresser that’s in our closet.

Hmmm...vertigo problems? Could that be why I feel off. I would have to say yep, that’s it. By the time that I got to work about an hour later, I felt like I was drunk. Stumbling while walking, bumping into walls, and don’t even get me started on what it felt like while I was sitting stationary at my desk – merry-go-round, anyone? I can’t explain it. Just the weirdest thing.

I tell you, if it doesn’t get better then I might have to resort to taking the second half of my Benadryl pill at lunchtime...which might make things better or worse. Better in that my eyes might cease the burning sensation...and worse because I could fall asleep while at my desk – this stuff packs a punch with me! I figure since I’m already doing things on the “bad mommy list” then I might as well wash it down with a Coke...

Have you had to take medication while being pregnant? Do you worry about doing it or do you put faith in your doctor and trust what he/she tells you is fine?

No comments: