Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Cause for Celebration!

Well...for those of you who have been reading for a while, I have some GREAT news to share with you all...B found a job!!!!

In this tough economy it took a bit longer than either one of us thought that it would, but after almost 8 months of being out of work, he started his new job this week. I’m not sure what all it’s ok for me to share about this...since I didn’t clear any of this with him before writing this up, I guess that I’ll stay a little on the vague side.

He got hired on with a regional grocery company as part of their Loss Prevention team, which is right up his alley – for someone of his background and training with the Marine Core. His attention to detail got noticed during the interviews that he had to go through to get the job and it’s already getting him mentioned throughout the store...and he’s only worked two shifts! It’s great to see him find a good fit for a job...so many of the interviews and searches that he was doing just didn’t seem to be jobs that he would enjoy doing.

And he wasn’t all that thrilled about this job either to begin with. But really, I think what bothered him the most was the idea of having to start over at the bottom. He had started at the bottom at the company where we both work and worked his way up to Operations Manager, which at the time was just a fancy title for assistant branch manager. Then he got laid off...and no one was hiring. At least not for middle management – it’s always the first level to be cut when the economy gets bad.

But after working just two shifts with his direct supervisor, they are already talking to him about supervising some of the other employees within his department and enrolling him in the management-training program as soon as possible. So things are looking up for him...plus, as a bonus, I get to hear ALL kinds of stories from his day! It turns out that Loss Prevention encompasses so much more than just watching the customers...and they are CRAZY! I’ll have to check and make sure that it’s ok for me to share some of those stories before I do it...hopefully he won’t care, because there are already some good ones!

I’m just thrilled that he’s found something that he has an interest in and will enjoy doing. Our prayers have been answered, and I want to say a big “THANKS” to all of you who have kept us in your thoughts and prayers...sometimes it takes a little while to get the answer that you think that you want, but it all works out in the end!

No comments: