Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Toys Lead to Sleep???

At least, that's what happens when I get Jax new toys!

I was at Wal-Mart yesterday doing some shopping and I remembered that I wanted to get a play mat for Jax with some of the leftover shower $$ from Wal-Mart that I hadn't spent yet. I detoured back to the baby department, I'd already been there for formula and diapers, and quickly found several options.

I went with one that had things hanging down to "hit" for both the hands and the feet as that seemed like more fun to me, and it was part of the Ocean Wonders theme so it was more non-gender specific. But what do I know, huh? Anyway, it was a 3-in-1 sort of play mat, as it can be used while they're on their backs, then for tummy time and once they're crawling, you can rearrange it to make a little tube-thingy for them to crawl through. Sounds like fun, right?

Well, we set it up last night during his normal fussy time...and it was a "No Go." He didn't want to have anything to do with it. At. All.

Since I'm known for my stubborness, and because I spent $25 on the thing, I tried again this morning when he was in a happier mood. At first, he just stared at the toys hanging down...and then up at me as I moved them around and made them jingle and jangle and do their thing. Then he "hit" one - as in, he flailed his arm out and it made contact by total accident. I would love to say that he was hooked from then on, but I'd be lying.

He wasn't unimpressed like the night before, but I think that he was more interested in all of the colors and designs on the actual mat that he could see when he rolled onto his side. He stared down those fish for a good 15 minutes in blissful contentment...which allowed me to start the dishwasher, sterilize some bottles, start a load of laundry and then fold two loads of laundry. Score!

Then I grabbed my laptop and sat down on the floor beside him to do some banking and catch up on my Reader. Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that he'd gotten really still...imagine my surprise when I look over and see this:
Yep, he was SO super impressed with his new play mat that he decided it was the best place to take a nap. I could try to delude myself and say that he played so hard that he just wore himself out...but I would know that I was lying. And lying to yourself is never a good thing! LOL.

Oh well, at least he enjoyed it for a little while, right?

No comments: