Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Still Pregnant!

I think that I’d really like to title a post “What It’s Like to Be 547 Weeks Pregnant” because that’s about how I feel at the moment. Seriously. When your due date is moved up and then moved back a few weeks later, you seriously do feel like you might be pregnant forever. FOREVER. Most of this pregnancy has passed by in a blur – could be my age (not that I’m that old, but time does pass quicker with each passing year!) or could just be the lack of sleep that these last few weeks offer a mom-to-be.

I took a vow recently (just to myself, but it still counts!) that I wasn’t going to complain as much as I felt I had been doing. There are many, many, many women out there who struggle with fertility issues and cannot conceive, and I am one of those lucky few women who got pregnant soon after starting to try to become pregnant. I wasn’t sure that it would happen like that the 2nd time around, but that’s how it happened. And since I personally have several friends and loved ones in my life who deal with fertility issues or cannot conceive at ALL without the aid of modern medicine, I vowed that I would be more sympathetic and not complain as much. Not just to those particular people (because I know that some of them would trade places with me in a heartbeat) but to the world in general. I mean, no one likes a cranky-pants, right? Right.

But when you feel like you’ve been pregnant for 3,829 days (or 547 weeks, whichever works for you) it gets really hard. You’re past the honeymoon stage of “yea – we’re pregnant!” and you’re full on into the “OMG – what the heck were we thinking?!?!” stage. Because if this lack of sleep is to “help prepare” me for having a newborn in the house and all of those nighttime feedings and diaper changes, then I’m more than prepared. I am happy to report that I can work half a day on only 3 hours of sleep and be fully functional for the most part. I can also sleep semi-sitting up/reclining for more than 2 hours at a time, which was an important pre-requisite for my daughter’s first few weeks!

The nursery is complete, for the most part. Or maybe I should say that it’s as complete as it’s gonna get. I have all the big furniture items that I think that I need. I’ve got clothes coming out of every possible drawer and closet space available. I’m 100% covered as far as receiving blankets, swaddler blankets and regular, soft baby blankets. I could use more diapers (who couldn’t?) and I would really, really like to be able to find a formula that does NOT contain Iron. My daughter could ONLY take the pre-mixed (not the powder kind) Low Iron formula from Enfamil. Which isn’t produced any more that I can find. Oh yeah, they’ve got LOTS of other newer kinds that they didn’t have when she was born 8 years ago, but NOT one SINGLE manufacturer that I can find at HEB, Target, Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreen’s or anywhere else you can think to look carries a Low Iron formula.

And yes, I know that I might not even need it with this little bundle of joy, since he might be completely different than his older sister, but I think that I would feel better if I could find something that would be easier on the digestion. And yes, I also understand that there are other types now that say for “colicky” babies and partially digested for less gas. But I don’t KNOW that those will work. I know from experience that Enfamil Low Iron will work and is gentler on sensitive tummies. I’m sure that something else will be fine, but this is for my own sanity. Which at day #4,287 my sanity is really the only thing that’s important. At least in my world.

So, I’m not going to complain about the ever-present back ache. I’m not going to complain about these stupid Braxton Hicks contractions that are just regular enough to get me all scared/excited and then disappear for three of four days. I’m not going to talk about the constant heart burn. (From a glass of water, people! Water!) I’m not even going to think about mentioning the swelling on my right foot which is painful to the point of I’m certain that my skin is going to explode because it’s not meant to stretch that far. And I’m totally not going to mention how painful those little kicks and nudges that I so looked forward to feeling 5 months ago are becoming as he runs out of room in there.

Nope, not going to mention any of that. Except that I just did, didn’t I? Oh well, no one’s perfect. Baby steps. Baby steps to less complainging. (Extra kudos if you can give me the movie reference in comments below!)

At this point, with the lack of contractions that I had over this weekend in comparison with the abundance of contractions that I had the weekend before, I’m pretty certain that I’ll make it to week #634 of pregnancy. (That’s 4,438 days for you math whizzes out there!)

And yes, I know with every fiber of my being that this little one will be worth all of this. All of the aches and pains and discomforts will pale in comparison once I get to hold him in my arms. To count his tiny fingers and toes. To smell his sweet baby-smell, which I have a theory on that I haven't shared with you all yet. And just to hold him on the OUTSIDE of me...can't wait! And every day that I get closer to my due date I just get more and more anxious. And ready to meet the little guy!

No comments: