Pages

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Discomfort May Serve a Purpose...

Last night, the coolest thing happened. I was just out of my nightly bubble bath (yes, I take those!) and Ziggy was doing his moving and shaking thing…and I was really, really uncomfortable. I got into bed and laid on my back, settling in to watch some TV before going to sleep…hoping against all odds that Ziggy would find a better “spot” and grant me some relief. (He’s been really in weird spots the last few nights and it’s almost been hard to sit in a chair and breathe correctly or something.)

Anyway, I reached down to rub my Budda belly and I felt something hard. Certain that I was mistaken, I moved my hand over a couple of inches to the left (back towards the middle of my belly) and sure enough, nothing but squishiness. Intrigued now, I moved my hand back over to the right and there was a hard shape there just below the surface of my belly.

Yes, in reality I know that it’s not right below my belly, but you know what I mean, right?

It was a body part. A little baby boy body part. I was convinced at first that it was his head, since there was movement going on further down after I poked around on his head for a while…but then later I decided that maybe it was his little rump that I was feeling. I’m really not sure, but I was able to follow his body along my belly laying diagonal.

If I’m right and it was his head that was lower, then maybe the discomfort that I’ve been experiencing especially bad the last few days has been him turning. I think that babycenter.com or The Bump indicated in the weekly updates that they send out that it was around now when the baby would start to turn and stay in a downward pointing position…which still seems early if you ask me. I mean, I’m only 28 weeks…that’s 12 more weeks to go upside-down, but whatever. I’m not the expert. And I could be wrong, but that sort of makes sense to me.
I called out to B and he came over and was immediately like “Whoa! What’s that?!?” It was neat to experience more than just bumps and kicks…even though those are still amazing too!

If you’re currently pregnant or have been pregnant in the past, could you distinguish body parts? I don’t remember being able to do that really well with my daughter…but maybe I’m just getting old and can’t remember! I’d be interested to see if others can tell the difference between a rump and a head…I’m not sure that I’m very clear at all!

No comments: