Pages

Friday, May 28, 2010

PWA Goes Into Overdrive...

I don’t know about you guys, but I seem to be the most creative when I don’t really have TIME to be creative…does that make sense? Let me explain…

Right before the wedding, I got this crazy idea to start an etsy shop and I opened the doors without really thinking things through completely. I had just had SO much fun planning the wedding and doing all of those little crafty projects that I didn’t truly think through what I was doing. If I had taken that time, then maybe I wouldn’t have had such a flop…not a huge flop, I sold some of my handmade bags in person, but none through etsy. But then again, launching the business right before the wedding, then there was the honeymoon and then I got pregnant right away…maybe it wasn’t all due to poor planning?

But I did it knowing that it wasn’t the best time to do those things because I was literally overwhelmed with ideas. Things that I could make, different bags/purses, cards, invitations…oh the possibilities were endless! I would honestly lay awake at night thinking about the things that I could do. But shortly after opening my “doors”, I realized that the timing was all off. Once I got back from my honeymoon, I realized how tired I was. I needed a break. I needed to step back and NOT work on something. To recharge, if you will.

Then I found out that I was pregnant and those first few months really kicked my butt! I didn’t have the energy to do anything, much less worry about my new little “business” and making more bags to sell. I felt bad, I was sick, I was tired…you name it, it worked as an excuse for me!

But about a month ago, I realized that I miss sewing. I miss making things. I admitted to myself that I LIKE having projects to work on…and I started thinking about what I could do next. And it seemed that once I admitted those things, the creative juices got to flowing freely once again - because I have to tell you, the ideas are just endless at the moment!

I wrote previously about forcing myself to work on and try to finish old projects before starting new ones…and that’s working well. You saw my quilt/bedspread here and I’m proud to say that I’m about halfway through with the lattice/ribbon portion of that project. I also need to work on the wedding quilt…but I’m at a stand still on that until I remember to take the pieces for the rest of Brent’s family to sign. Every time that we all get together I totally forget!! But until I get those last 4-5 pieces signed, my hands are tied on that one…

And then I gave you a sneak peak here at something I was working on. Don’t worry, it was just raw material sitting there patiently waiting for me to “hurry up” and make some progress on those old projects first…

But in my head, that material was rapidly being transformed into my next project. And I was spending lots of time at work home daydreaming about how to alter my favorite tote bag pattern to make it into what I really wanted to make…my diaper bag! You see, I didn’t register for a diaper bag. When Brent and I went to do the registry, by the time that we got to diaper bags he was acting a bit restless and I didn’t want to be rushed into picking something that I wasn’t going to be truly happy with. So I left it off and went back later. And then made another trip…and sometime during my third trip to look at diaper bags, I realized that I couldn’t pick a bag out because I truly didn’t like any that I saw.

There were features about this one or that one that I liked, but always there was also something that I didn’t like about it to make it “not the right bag for Sandy.” I started searching online and didn’t like that option either…I want to hold it, see it, touch it, feel it, hang it on my shoulder to see where it’s going to hit my body…you get the idea. And then, like a bolt of lightning, it hit me. YOU CAN SEW. Which then turned into YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN BAG!

Yeah, like I keep saying, pregnancy ROTS YOUR BRAIN and makes you forget things that otherwise would be SO obvious! LOL.

So after working on my other projects, altering my previous bag designs, and spending a few hours working on a “prototype” may I present to you my newest project? My diaper bag…
It’s basically just a tote bag…not too girly (that was another problem that I kept running into!) and not too plain. Just enough jazz to please me…and apparently too much to make my husband comfortable with carrying it! He’s already asked where HIS bag is…

The bag varies a bit from the totes that I made for my bridesmaids and sold through etsy…it’s larger for one, which is obvious since a diaper bag needs to carry more. The outside pockets are bigger (one large pocket on each side instead of two)…and they have hidden magnetic snaps sewn in, which I LOVE!
The side pockets are designed to be roomy enough to hold bottles, although I have to admit that I don’t have any bottles yet to do a trial run on that feature.
The inside isn’t quite as jazzy like my other bags, but does still sport the inside pocket for my keys and cell phone and things that I might need to find rapidly.
In short, I love it. Love it! Love it!! Love it!!!

There are a few things (since this was my first attempt at a new pattern) that I would do differently the next time around…and yes, I already have another set of material for another diaper bag. I mean, a mom’s got to have options, right? Right! But for the most part I couldn’t be happier with it.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg…hopefully in the next few weeks I’ll finish up (or start) some of the other projects that are rattling around in my brain for baby Jax. Like I said, it’s like a fountain that I can’t shut off! Just this morning, I had this idea for the CUTEST onesies EVER…hopefully it will work out between my head and actual reality and I’ll have something else to show you soon!

Do you find yourself getting more creative the less time that you actually have to do things? I hope it’s not just me…

No comments: