Pages

Thursday, May 13, 2010

I “Might” Be A Project Whore…

I guarantee you that my Mom laughed at that title! Love you, Mom!!!

You see…I have a problem. And since the first step to fixing a problem is admitting that you have a problem, I feel like I’m making progress. I don’t think that it’s a really bad problem…but maybe that’s just me and part of the whole overall problem. You know like when alcoholics say that they don’t have a problem when everyone else can CLEARLY see that they have a problem? Yeah, I might need to start a PWA group (Project Whores Anonymous)…we’d need to have meetings and form support groups and stuff. And I’m not knocking AA and groups like that…they do help people. I’m just thinking that I should start my own group – want to join?

I think that it starts with the wedding…SO much inspiration…so many cutesy projects that you can do. Just project overload. Then it’s settling into your new home as a married couple, finding your style and decorating and such. Curtains need to be made, painting needs to be done, and if you have a crafty hubby – tile needs to be laid. What was that, honey? You don’t know how to do that? Oh, well, I think that they offer classes at Lowe’s…smoochies! Love you! Thank you so much!

But like I was saying, acknowledging that you might have a problem is a step in the right direction. Here’s my problem: I’m really good at envisioning things that I can make and do and all. I’m even really good at finding the materials (sometimes on sale!) and gathering them all up. I can even manage to get started and do the first few steps…and that’s where my grand master plan falls apart. Somewhere between step #4 and completion…I get Project A.D.D. or something and get side-tracked. Usually for good reasons. But no matter if the reasons are good or lame, the project stalls and then before I know it…time passes. And the project gathers dust. Or is forgotten completely.

These are all things that I realized last week…after spending $40 on new fabric for a few things that are buzzing around my brain to be all crafty with right now. as I unload my purchases and start to wash the fabric (it MUST be washed before sewn!) B gently (or bravely?!?) points out to me that I have fabric already. What do I need more for? As I share what I’m planning on doing with him, he just sort of smiles at me and says ok. But this is a look that I’ve come to know. It’s directed at me and usually means more than just ok.

As I sit and ponder what he could POSSIBLY be implying…it hits me. I’m a project whore. I move from one project to the next with ease and serenity…sometimes finishing things up and sometimes not. There’s always something else to focus on…the grass is always greener and so forth. You get the idea, right?

Since the washing machine was already started, I finished that task, but when the material was all washed and dried, I forced myself to fold it and put it aside. I did NOT immediately start sketching out the new pattern in my head. I did NOT cut any of the material out to take along with me as I collect the remaining pieces needed to finish it. I have not spent more money on these projects on my head. I decided that I needed to finish up some other sewing projects first.

OK, so maybe I decided to finish up ONE project…baby steps, people!

And you know what? After less than one week…ONE WEEK ladies!...I got finished with a big project. Or at least more on my way to being finished. I at least made enough progress towards finishing that I could justify cutting out a pattern for the project that’s been fermenting in my creative brain for the past week. Seven little bitty days made a big difference.

It should show me what determination can do for a person. Or what withholding a prize can do to motivate a child…because that’s what I am. A child. Who needs to be bribed and scheduled to finish her work…don’t expect miracles, but progress is nice.

So you want to see what I’m talking about? Do you want the new or the old? I have pictures of both because I’m cool like that…

Here’s the new project as a teaser…then I’ll explain more about the old project tomorrow. And maybe posting about my progress will make me more accountable? Maybe you ladies can hold me to my tasks by asking me how things are going? Maybe…don’t worry though, I won’t bite and get mad when you “gently” remind me that there are other things to be working on, I promise!

So here’s my new project…
Well, that’s at least the material that my new project will take shape in…I can’t WAIT to start on it! I cut the pieces out last night…but I have to set another new goal with the old project to finish some step before I can let myself work too much on this one! Help keep me strong!!!

No comments: